Student of the Week: More than one thing on his mind, Junior Shai Sumpter-Bey

Photo submitted.

Photo submitted.

Liv Ramirez, Writer

Q: What’s your favorite part of track and favorite part of football, the two sports you play here at BHS?

A: My favorite part about track is when we go to the indoor meets. There are so many teams there and it’s just fun to experience that. My favorite part about football is on Friday nights when you come out and see the whole town cheering you on and all the hype leading up to the games are just crazy, but I love it.

Q: Where are you interested in going to college, and does your choice affect your sporting career?

A: My dream college is Georgia, but honestly I don’t think that I’ll go there because I want to go somewhere close to family, and yes, my decision will be based off of sports.

Q: Which one would you want to focus on more in college and why?

A: Football and just because it’s more physical, and I just like football more in general.

Q: What has been your biggest accomplishment in track and in football?

A: My biggest accomplishment in track is when we broke the school record (The 4×100) and made it to state last year. My biggest accomplishment in football is becoming back-to-back conference champions.

Q: Because football and track are two different seasons, is the transition between the two difficult at all?

A: No it’s not difficult. I get a long break between the two; personally I like it because it gives me time to rest and get ready for track.

Q: Are there differences in being prepared for one another (physically, mentally, and socially)?

A: With track, you have to be mentally prepared, and it’s totally different from football. When you are preparing for a race, you have to be mentally prepared because during the race you’re going to get tight and you can’t let that mess with you, you have to run through the pain.

Q: Can you name a favorite memory from your sporting career?

A: A memory of football I like is when I started playing football in 7th grade I had so much fun, and I just never wanted it to end.