Karen Rothenberger, the Mom of Team 2018

+%0AOn+Rothenberger%E2%80%99s+last+day%2C+it+seemed+like+every+senior+stopped+by+her+office+to+say+goodbye%2C+hug+her%2C+and+present+her+with+gifts+of+all+different+shapes+and+sizes.%0A

On Rothenberger’s last day, it seemed like every senior stopped by her office to say goodbye, hug her, and present her with gifts of all different shapes and sizes.

Holly Ward

Holly Ward

Holly Ward

Karen Rothenberger, administrative assistant for Team 2018, has resigned and left Brownsburg Community School Corporation.

Mrs. Rothenberger started as a kindergarten aide at White Lick Elementary School. But then in her fourth year, she transferred to BHS to become a Team Office Receptionist and has been doing so for seven years now.

To those who never got to know Mrs. Rothenberger; first of all, I’m sorry. You missed out. Big time. But second, Mrs. Rothenberger was the one person who knew how to put each and every one of her students back in place almost instantaneously, while comforting us.

She had our backs no matter what. She was sassy and feisty, but she was also the one who would also wrap you up in a warm hug during a rough day. Or in my case, calm you down after a car accident. Senior Chloe Cascini described Mrs. Rothenberger as “unapologetically kind”.

She gladly took on the responsibility and the weight that her position carried with a great big smile and a bright attitude. But on top of the weight of her job, she didn’t have the simplest life waiting for her at home. Her husband has Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis, ALS, which can cause muscle weakness, muscle spasms, and difficulty speaking.

But with her kind demeanor and calm exterior, most would never know just how much is on her plate. Rothenberger commented on how she kept such a high attitude by saying, “I feel like you guys are my kids, and sometimes you need a hug. And sometimes you need someone to tell you to get over it.”

Senior Jessica Rothenberger (no relation to Mrs. Rothenberger) said, “I think everyone loved her like a second mom, even if they didn’t know her that well. We could always count on her.”

When asked what her favorite part of her job here at BHS was, she replied, “My favorite part will be the part I miss the most. The students.”

Rothenberger has been with this team for four years now, and when asked what the hardest part was, she explained that, “freshman year is a big time struggle, so the fights, the adjustment, and the transition–it was rough. It was rough, but you guys have changed and grown so much, and that’s the cool part of the team.”

So, freshmen, believe Rothenberger:  freshman year isn’t only a struggle for you, but for everyone. Just keep your head up and don’t block any upperclassman in the hallway. You’ll make it through.

Rothenberger is leaving to go to her husband’s work in Carmel so she can be closer to him to help him more. She does reassure us that she is planning on being at graduation and that she will try to keep in touch and keep an eye on us from afar, just like a mom.

So even though Karen Rothenberger has left and it might feel a little gloomier in the Team 2018 office, she wants to say to Team 2018: “Remember I love you. You guys are my kids, and that’s the way I look at it”.

And from everyone here with the Brownsburg Paw Print, We love you too Mrs. Rothenberger, and thank you for all you’ve done for us.