Radium Girls: Glowing Now

Julia+Murphy+and+Katelyn+Rickert+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Radium Girls: Glowing Now

Julia Murphy and Katelyn Rickert

Julia Murphy and Katelyn Rickert

Mackenzie Barrett

Julia Murphy and Katelyn Rickert

Mackenzie Barrett

Mackenzie Barrett

Julia Murphy and Katelyn Rickert

Mackenzie Barrett, Editor in Chief

So. Much Light. In the early 1920s, The U.S. Radium Corporation hired approximately 4,000 women to paint watch faces with a luminous paint called radium. Despite the knowledge of its harmful effects, the U.S Radium Corporation hired these women and instructed them to put the paint brushes in their mouths to sharpen the tips.

The women suffered from Radiation Sickness. Symptoms include anemia, necrosis of the jaw, and bone fractures. Most of these women were ill-compensated and unable to afford attorneys to take the U.S Radium Corporation to court. However, one worker by the name of Grace Fryer decided to sue the corporation. After waiting two years to find a lawyer, plant worker Grace Fryer appeared in court, so sick she could not even raise her own hand to take the oath.

This year, Brownsburg High School’s theater department is performing this story. Senior Kendra Stiers plays the role of Grace Fryer, a brave young woman who fights for what is right no matter what ails her. Other cast member include some of BHS’s most cherished teachers, Mr. Evans, Mr. Bretz and Mrs. Bess!

Since our auditorium is currently under construction, the show is performed in the multi purpose room. The small setting creates an intimate atmosphere for such an emotional story.

Determination despite deterioration.”

— Brooke Allison

The actors do not use mics, so the audience feels as though they are part of the story.

As seating is limited, BHS Theater Department will perform Radium Girls six times. Tickets for April 14,15,19, 20, 21, 22 showtimes can be found at brownsburgtheater.weebly.com. Saturday shows begin at 7:00 and Sunday shows are matinee at 2.30.

Sam Maurer and Katy Rudder