We’ve Got Spirit How ‘Bout You?

Maya Bjerke, Editor

Its fnl season and that means school spirit is at an all time high. Sometimes the excitement for Friday night football games is the only thing that gets students through the week. The thought of packing into the student section, surrounded by fellow classmates and friends, dressed head-to-toe in spirit wear, singing along to all of the cheers, and having an all around great night makes this season the best at BHS. Students are able to come together one night at the end of each week and let all of the stress and drama go.

As the bleachers fill and the game begins, everyone is there for one thing: a good time cheering on their football team. So how do we as Bulldogs insure that we get the most out of every Friday night football game? The answer is pre-game activities to get everyone excited for the game.

Firstly and most importantly, you have to go all out with spirit wear. It doesn’t matter if you are a lower or an upperclassmen. If you show up to a football game without any spirit wear, it is unlikely that you will have a good time in the student section as you are the odd one out. Spirit wear is one of the best parts about football games. You get to show everyone just how much you support the team. So next time you hear what he spirit day is going to be head to the store and make some smart purchases.

If it’s a colored day, for example (purple/pink/red out), try to wear more than just a colored shirt. Look for bandanas, shorts, hats, socks, jackets, and even shoelaces to put your whole outfit together. Don’t be afraid of the amount of spirit gear you wear, you’ll never be made fun of for it and there’s no such thing as too much.

Mackenzie Bedrick, a junior at BHS, always goes all out for spirit days at football games. You may have seen her all decked out in red for Riley Week, or even caught the flash of her light up red earrings.

“The student section really comes alive with everyone decked out in their gear. One of my favorite thing is to see pictures of our student sections after the game. We always look spirited,” she said.

Maya Bjerke

The next thing you can do before football games with friends is make beaded bracelets. This trend has been going on for a while now but is still as fun as ever. It’s a good time to have with your friends and talk about anything while doing something fun together.

All you need are plastic beads, string, and wrists to put the bracelets on. People often choose to make the bracelets correlate to what the spirit day is by choosing colors carefully. Then you can get even more creative with what words you put on the bracelets. You can put your favorite football players names or numbers on them, or something as simple as “fnl.” No matter what you choose, whenever you look at it you will feel even more spirited.

Ivy Gallager

Maya Bjerke

Putting on face paint with friends is another pre-game necessity. Simply find some face paint in the color of the spirit day and choose a design to put on your face. People often put dots connecting from the bottom of one eye to the top of another, or just some traditional horizontal lines under the eyes, but you can get as creative as you want.

Since you already have the paint, you may as well go crazy. If you are wearing shorts to the game, then you have your legs out as canvases. Get some willing friends together to paint anything from handprints to dots. You could even just fling the paint onto your legs in no specific pattern. Then when you finish you can all run around together to let your legs dry, and release some of your built up excitement for the game in a few hours!

Maya Bjerke

The last thing that you can use to get ready for Friday nights is glitter. Recently when you look around football games, your eye is sure to be caught by the shiny glitter on peoples faces, legs, hair, ect. It’s a fun way to feel even more spirited. Its super easy to apply especially if you already plan on putting paint on yourself. Simply put the glitter over the paint before it dries and it will stick with you throughout the whole night!

Throughout all of the Friday night processes and activities, it is certain that you will have a good time if you surround yourself with people that you care about. As the Friday night lights turn on and the cheers get louder, you’ll be able to look around at all of the spirit and feel a part of something truly special. All it takes is some fun preparation with some great people.

Maya Bjerke
Jamie Sweet