The Mask of Teenage Society

Back to Article
Back to Article

The Mask of Teenage Society

There are whispers spread across the hallways, throughout the classes, between friends.  I want to focus in on one topic.  How stressed out are you right now?

Let’s face it, a lot of people are stressed out over one reason or another.  Freshmen are the new greenies of the school (let’s all just take in that next year, with the green lanyards they’ll be ACTUAL greenies), sophomores are dreading both the ISTEP and the PSAT.  Juniors are scouting colleges and scholarships, while the seniors are anticipating college and the real world ahead of them.

What don’t students have to be stressed out about?  Balancing family, friends, grades, and how they’re feeling inside.  We’re trying to figure ourselves out and trying to balance a mountain of expectations.

Why not just jump right into this?

We have a very large school, we all know this.  Have you met everyone in your grade yet?  Unlikely.  I’m a junior and am still meeting new faces.  Do you know everyone?  Just one fact about them besides their name?  Probably not, and this is the shield you need to fight to see behind.

To many of you, this may not be a surprise, maybe you face the exact same things.  Maybe you’ll find out something new.  Then you can say you’ve learned something today, and that’s always an accomplishment.

Here are the facts: one in seven people between ages 10 and 18 will run away from home.  Now, some may have unworthy reasons, but most of the time, their reasons are real.  According to MCSL.org, 47 percent of these runaways report a major problem being an issue with their parent or guardian.

The pressure, the relationship, and the respect are all many factors that can contribute to this.  How you interact with the adults in your life are giant components in your character development.  Everyone knows to watch how a boy speaks to his mother to see how he’ll treat you.

Now let’s face the more unattractive statistics.  According to MCSL.org, 38 percent of teen are emotionally abused, while 46 percent of teens are physically abused by the adults at home.  How can this not affect a person and not make them explode?

Everything is different behind the mask, so always try to peal back the layers of a person.  Make them smile.  Give them a compliment.  In repeated wise words, “let them know they’re not alone.”

Teachers are here to help you, counselors are paid to make sure you’re okay.  It shouldn’t be embarrassing to request a meeting with your team counselor.

Now that you have the causes, here are the results.  75 percent of runaways have or may drop out of high school (MCSL.org).  That’s a large number of people.  The math, from a resulting number of between 1.6 and 2.8 million youth runaways, if 75 percent dropped out the results would be that, respectively, 1.2 million to 2.1 million of these runaways may not graduate high school.

Walmart’s board in the front of the store has a board of runaways.  Take some time to look at them, even if it’s just once.  Those families are waiting and waiting for anything on their missing loved ones.  From adults to kids, but it’s important to at least pay it some sense of mind.  If you have any information to give, call 1-800-THE-LOST.

Now let’s get into Brownsburg.  Many have voiced their complaints of the workload from a lot of classes.  Mostly AP and Dual Credit courses, but this expected.

Junior Kayden Scott, more commonly known as Tay, has provided her own claim on to the challenges she faces.

“Currently, school is stressing me out, because my Dual Credit US History grade is going back and forth.  That’s really the only class that really stresses me out,” she said.

But as I said, school isn’t the only thing people have to worry about.

Relationships are tough, all of them.  Between parent and child, friends, couples, and work, every relationship is different and complicated in its own way.

Tay says, “at home, my mom just got fired, we’re living off severance for the moment, which is just how ever long she’s been there, that’s how many weeks she gets paid, we’re going on 3!”

Her sarcasm at the end, a coping mechanism as to keep from tearing up, although working, isn’t always healthy.

A dear friend of mine, whose name will remain anonymous, has had a very difficult time in her life for the past few months, to the point where I’m alerted when they have a breakdown.  They asked for my advice.  The best thing I could offer, that I’m going to offer to you all as well:  find something you’re passionate about.

If you play the guitar, play it until you feel better.  If you like to play Fortnite, don’t listen to what anyone says, play Fortnite to your heart’s content.  If you love to write, dance, sing, do anything that makes you giddy inside.

“When I’m stressed and like to unwind, I literally go into my room, I turn off all the lights in my room except for the Christmas lights that’s on my head board, I turn on light music, and then I just read on my phone,” Tay said.

Find the thing that makes you happy and do it.  I can’t express enough how important it is for you to be entirely content with your life.  Make a mistake and laugh at it.  Fail a test and learn what you did wrong, work to fix it.  If you hide everything inside, find someone to confide in, or find something to do to let your feelings out.

You’re still a kid, so act like it every once in a while.

Whatever you do, don’t become a statistic.