The Big Transition from Homeschool to High School

Anna Faulkner

When I was just a little girl, I started out my education with enrolling into a performing arts school. I specialized in dance, and it was a lot of fun. During that time period of being at a performing arts school, I learned two lessons that I believe apply to all schools of all ages. The first lesson that I learned was that your world is your stage. What you do in life and how you live it will determine if you get applause and if you will be remembered for positive things. The second lesson that I learned would be that whatever you do needs to be done with the best of your ability and that you need to give 110 percent and more. After my time at the performing arts school came to a close, I went to an elementary school for the rest of my elementary years.

After I completed elementary school, my mom said she was going to homeschool me. I wasn’t thrilled that I was being homeschooled, but it does have some perks to it. For instance, I could do all of my school work in my pajamas, and I didn’t have a set schedule. I did gym and attended different things. One year, I did singing and performed for people. With being homeschooled, I could work at my own pace, and if I was behind, I could catch up because it is geared toward my own needs.

Toward the beginning of my sophomore year, my mom decided that she was done homeschooling me. She has homeschooled my siblings for 20 years, and she needed a break. So, I went in and took testing so that I could be placed into the proper grade. When my testing was completed, I went to my counselor and we set up classes. I started that exact same day, and all I can say is that it was a big transition. The dictionary definition is this: the process or the period of changing from one state or condition to another. All I can say is that this is the exact definition that I’m living. When I first got here I was so overwhelmed with all the people and hallways that I didn’t even know what to think. I kept on getting lost going to my classes, and I had to ask for help so many times. Thankfully I was able to memorize where all my classes are and how to get there on my second day. This was a major transition for me, because when I was homeschooled, I didn’t have to leave my house, nor was I around a lot of people. This was a step up from homeschooling and I’m excited to be able to experience a whole different realm of schooling.