Indiana Haunted Happenings

Maya Anderson, Writer

It’s slowly nearing October, so you know what that means! Spooky Season has arrived, whether you like it or not. We took a look at some of the most haunted places right here in Indiana, and you don’t have to go far to find them- especially if you’re in for a good scare. Here are the top ten haunted sites in Indiana.

Number Ten: Hacienda Restaurant

Located: Mishawaka, Indiana

Once a private mansion, Hacienda Mexican Restaurant is rumored to be haunted by apparitions of those who used to live here. Some stories say one apparition belongs to a maid with whom the mansion’s owner had an affair. When the maid became pregnant, he shunned her, so she hanged herself in the attic. Other stories say the owner became one of the apparitions after he shot himself in the basement. Odd things have been reported, such as lights, electrical appliances and water faucets working on their own.

Number Nine: Avon Haunted Bridge

Located: Avon, Indiana

The Avon Haunted Bridge is a railroad bridge built in 1906. So the legend goes, a mother was walking with her baby on the tracks when they fell to their deaths. Locals would say every time you drove under the bridge you had to honk to drown out the sound of the ghost of the mother’s wails. Some locals still honk today.

Number Eight: Whispers Estate

Located: Mitchell, Indiana

Featured on some TV shows, the estate is said to be the site of many paranormal occurrences including apparitions, voice phenomena, jiggling doorknobs, tremors, unexplained smells, shaking furniture and a vortex.

Number Seven: Roads Hotel

Located: Atlanta, Indiana

The 1893 hotel, once backed by John Dillinger, is rumored to be haunted by many spirits. Witnesses have reported shadows and apparitions of men, women and children as well as disembodied voices, footsteps, lights that work on their own and doors that open and close — or even slam — by themselves.

Number Six: James Allison Mansion

Located: Indianapolis, Indiana

Built from 1911 to 1913, the mansion is said to be haunted. Sources may see a little girl who was visiting and drowned in the basement pool, or James Allison himself. The little girl’s apparition has been seen, and witnesses also have reported voices in the attic, objects that move by themselves, objects that disappear, and furniture that is rearranged.

Number Five: Elkhart Civic Theatre (Bristol Opera House)

Located: Bristol, Indiana

The Elkhart Civic Theatre, housed in an 1897 building, is said to be haunted by ghosts who send books and papers flying off shelves, levitate small objects, run sewing machines and project moving shafts of light. Shadows and an apparition of a floating dark-haired woman have been seen by both staff members and theater guests. Staff members claim to have been grabbed by a ghost when no one else is around. Percy, a.k.a. Percival Hilbert, is the name of a ghost believed to reside here. He was a handyman who lived in the basement with his wife and two daughters after they were evicted in the Depression era. His spirit is said to manifest as moving shafts of light. He is also believed to have turned up in a photo during a ghost hunt.

Number Four: French Lick Springs Hotel

Located: French Lick, Indiana

This historic resort hotel complex is said to be haunted by former owner Thomas Taggart, who lingers around the service elevator as mists and phantom tobacco smells. He is said to expertly operate the elevator from beyond when the place gets busy. He also is said to appear riding a horse in the ballroom or down the halls, and holds ghostly parties that the staff have heard through closed doors when no one else is in the ballroom. A red stain is said to appear in a guest room bathtub where a bride committed suicide, and the cleaning staff claim the whole sixth floor is haunted by shadows, breezes, footsteps, disembodied laughter and ghosts who call the front desk from unoccupied rooms. Also, a ghostly African-American bellhop has shown up in photos of the bellhop stand.

Number Three: Finch Cemetery

Located: Portland, Indiana

The late-1800s Finch Cemetery at the Jay County Conservation Club is said to hold the grave of a boy named Cinderella. Rumor has it that the gravestones here shift or disappear. If you count the gravestones on the way to Cinderella’s grave, you will count 13. But on the way back, there are only 11.

Number Two: Saint Mary’s College – Le Mans Hall

Located: Notre Dame, Indiana

A scary apparition of a girl hanging from a noose has been witnessed at the Le Mans Hall bell tower. Legend has it that she committed suicide in that very spot years ago. Also, the infirmary on the fourth floor is said to sport blood stains resulting from a girls’ death.

Number One: Zion United Church of Christ Cemetery

Located: Poland, Indiana

The spooky sort love Zion Church Cemetery, say locals. The area is a hot spot for unexplained lights and sounds, ghostly whispers, eerie sensations, and the feeling of being watched. Some say a helpful ghost is known to leave the cemetery to stop cars and tell folks to turn back if they get too close to cursed ground.

Hope these sites are preparing you for the upcoming Spooky Season- and maybe you’ll even visit them yourself…

Source: IndyStar