The Artists’ Platform

Photo+submitted.
Back to Article
Back to Article

The Artists’ Platform

Photo submitted.

Photo submitted.

Photo submitted.

Photo submitted.

Skye Wente

When you think of Youtubers, you may immediately think of famous people in California, New York, or anywhere else around the world other than where we live.  Brownsburg, and Indiana in general, isn’t very famous for housing inspiring video-creators.

Yet the truth is, anyone can become famous off of social media platforms.  Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, YouTube, and other apps are a place where anyone can create and share things. 

You may have a friend with hundreds, or even thousands, of followers; you may have some who don’t even like to use social media.  The truth is, everyone is different, and that is known.  But how you behave on and off social media is what affects the number of “followers” you have.

Victoria Harley, a sophomore, has her own YouTube channel.  While she has this channel, she is more “internet famous” from her Instagram account.  For her, YouTube is a platform where she can get some exposure for modelling.

“I like sharing what I do and a lot of people like to know what I do in a day and what I eat because I’m vegan, and that’s not the normal, cookie-cutter way,” Harley said.

Maya Palmer, a junior, has many dancing videos on YouTube from her and her dance team Expressenz.  The team competed on season two of Fox’s “World of Dance”.  Be sure to watch their performances–they are really beautiful.

“World of Dance was the coolest thing ever.  I’ve always competed in dance since I was little, and that whole show just made our whole studio.  It kind of gave us fame in the competition world,” Palmer said.

Both Harley and Palmer would recommend for anyone and everyone to share their experiences on the YouTube platform.  But the truth is, you can do it on all social media platforms, in every area of expertise. 

Social media is a place to express yourself; use it to your advantage.  Post the fun stuff, post the sad stuff, but post what makes you comfortable and what makes you…well, you.