A Message to YOU!

Back to Article
Back to Article

A Message to YOU!

Photo submitted by Furqan Irfan.

Photo submitted by Furqan Irfan.

Photo submitted by Furqan Irfan.

Photo submitted by Furqan Irfan.

Skye Wente

How many times have you looked in a mirror today? In any type of reflection? Maybe only once, or maybe you’ve taken a peek every time you have an open minute. You may just be checking your hair, your makeup, or maybe whether there is anything in your teeth.

People differ in how much they check their appearance. And yet these different types of people have one major thing in common.

All of them are beautiful.

This story isn’t a cry for self-help, or a statement to get you to change who you are or to even be the same person. This is a message of embracing who you are. I’d like to formally apologize for anything or anyone that has ever made you feel less than just how beautiful you are.

I’m not trying to make you think that I’m lying to you. I’m not, because out there somewhere in that 7.7 billion-populated world, is someone that will think that your eyes are brighter than the stars, that you’re smile brightens our grey world, and that you are everything they could ever imagine.

Photo submitted by Furqan Irfan.

And yet, you probably still doubt my words. Because that is how society has raised us. We grew in a world where beauty has standards, where one person is perfect and another has to work day after day to work toward that standard.

News flash, none of that is real. Because while you may be struggling to change yourself to be like that perfect person, they have their own standards they think they have to work towards. And the truth is, everyone is drowning, we’re so far deep in the view of others that we’ve lost sight of ourselves.

Natural Beauty is the epitome of perfection. The natural look is what society should focus on. Yet this will probably never happen. But we can start with us-with the people of our school. Not just the girls, not just the LGBTQ community, but with all of us. With the staff and the students, with our parents and our friends.

My father told me a story:  be the apple at the top of the tree, the one that you have to work for. The sweetest apples are the ones that you work your hardest for, no matter how many times you fall, it’s worth it in the end.

Photo submitted by Kayden Scott.

I don’t want you to read this article and feel like I’m lying to you. So, here’s what I want you to do: go to a mirror, look in your camera, find someplace that you can see yourself. Now really look at yourself, focus on what makes you, well, you. Tell yourself that you’re beautiful. Because you are, and the only person you need to hear that from-is you.

Don’t listen to society’s, make your own standard of beautiful, and make it you.

I know, this is hard, you may never actually feel fully beautiful, but you can try. You can always try to be the best you.