Juuling: Is It Really Worth It?

factsherald.com
Back to Article
Back to Article

Juuling: Is It Really Worth It?

factsherald.com

factsherald.com

factsherald.com

factsherald.com

Nik Apostolovski, Writer

A study done by TruthInitative.org, found that 74 percent of the youth either juul or obtain a Juul. There are 2,519 students at Brownsburg High School. That is roughly 1,864 students at this high school that juul. Juuls have become a major problem in today’s society as many of the youth don’t know what they’re putting inside their body.

Juuls can easily be hidden, as many kids can hide behind a teachers back whether it’s in a bathroom or classroom.

Looking like a flash drive, Juuls are very easy to hide. You could blow a puff after “hitting” your Juul into your fist or backpack and jacket and carry on with the day.

Juuling is also causing distractions in many schools today.

A tweet from Twitter by @hyphyybriannaa tweeted, “Y’all this kid came into my 7th period to get a Juul and we all started laughing when he left, so the teacher was really confused and we go ‘that’s drug paraphernalia’ and he RAN OUT THE DOOR AFTER THE KID.”

In addition to this, just like many high schools across the United States, Principal Aaron Sicotte at Needman High School had to ban Juuls across campus. He had to alert staff on campus about Juuls and to take them if it falls out of a student’s bag or back pocket. So now it’s a problem in schools when it doesn’t need to be.

Not only is juuling a distraction in schools, but many of the youth don’t know the effect.

There are many toxic chemicals inside Juuls, such as benzoic acid. According to a study done by Center for Disease Control, there is about 2mg of benzoic acid in most e – cigarettes while Juuls have 44 mg of benzoic acid. That’s 22 times more!

Now, you might be wondering, what is benzoic acid?

Benzoic acid is known to cause vomiting, cramps, coughs, sore throat, and many more ugly symptoms.

Also, a study done by Jonathan Philip Whickoff, M.D. assistant professor at Harvard Medical School and specialist at Massachusetts General Hospital for smoking found N-nitrosonornicotine in Juuls which is found to be the most carcinogenic substance they know of.

In addition to this, it was to have acryntrile which is used in plastics. The same substance used in products like school binders, plastic spoons, and Legos.

Teens across the world aren’t thinking juuling is a big deal. However, a few weeks ago, an 18-year-old girl was sent to the hospital for having “wet lungs”. Wet Lungs is an allergic reaction in the lungs due to toxic chemicals. She had only been juuling for about three weeks.

Another study done by Center for Disease Control found that most e – cigarettes have 2.4 percent nicotine, while Juuls have 5 percent nicotine. Everyone knows what nicotine is but not everyone thinks it is a big deal.
Nicotine was found to be as addictive as cocaine and more addictive than alcohol.

If this isn’t enough, Juuls can cause long term effects in the future such as having sicknesses.

Now, activities such as juuling can cause heart disease. The ultrafine particles delivered through smoking can damage the cardiovascular system. Roughly 610.000 people die each year due to heart disease, and juuling is supposed to raise that number.

Juuling was also found to increases level of dopamine.

Dopamine is found in the brain, which is a chemical inside you that gives you pleasure. It makes you want to do it again and again.

In addition to increasing the level of dopamine in the brain, consuming nicotine will release insulin from the pancreas which will raise your blood sugar and tell your brain that you’re not hungry. So nicotine can be seen acting as an appetite suppressant.

Juuls obviously do a lot to our bodies. They cause pain and have nicotine which is highly addictive, and there are just too many toxic chemicals that we inhale when we “hit” a Juul in addition to the long term effects of juuling. Just think about it the next time you have a Juul in your hands, Is it really worth it?