BHS Cell Phone Policy

Trevor Newby

The administrators of BHS set rules and regulations for the student body to succeed and receive the best education in the state. Some rules are simple like dress code, the policy on lanyards, and for reasons regarding Covid-19 and masks. However, there is one policy that is far more important than the others, a policy that bars distraction:  the school’s policy on cellphones.

Cellphones have been around since the early 2000s when the global tech empire Apple was founded. These magic portable tech boxes allow us to keep in touch with all of our friends and family and creates a huge platform for social media apps like Tik Tok, Instagram, and Snapchat. Cellphones are extremely helpful and useful, but at the same time can cause a huge distraction when it comes to school.

BHS has implemented a hard cellphone policy to prevent classroom distractions. The policy is pretty blunt and straightforward when it comes to the do’s and don’ts of phones in school. Students are permitted to have their phones out under faculty advisory and in the cafeteria eating lunch. Students are not permitted to have their phones out in the hallways. Students who violate this rule will have their phones confiscated by a staff member and turned in to their respected team office.

The BHS staff has been heavily enforcing mask wearing and making that their main focus. However, it doesn’t mean they are completely ignoring cellphones altogether.  This means their main focus is masks with the cellphone policy right behind that with the other school rules. Many reasons surround the policy like drama, gossip and so on. But the main reason is it’s a huge distraction.

“It’s about giving students an education and knowing when it is a right time and a wrong time to have your phone out,” said Team 2021 Principal Corey Ebert.

All in all, the policy is meant for students to succeed and understand when and where it’s a good time and a bad time to have a cellphone, so remember when inside the main building, be respectful and put the phone away.