Are the ACT and SAT becoming tests of the past?

Caleb Peschke, Editor

The ACT and SAT are standardized tests for college admissions that are apparently becoming obsolete, due to the ‘Test-Optional’ wave that is sweeping the nation. This has caused uproar across the nation from both students in college that had to take it or parents seeing that their kids do not have to take it.

“It is a recommendation that whether it is test optional or not, to take the tests at least once,” said Mr. Patterson, BHS Team 2022 Guidance Counselor.

The ACT test covers four academic skill areas: English, Mathematics, Reading, and Scientific Reasoning. It also offers an optional direct writing test for those that would like to take part in it. The SAT, on the other hand, has a more focused approach on what subjects to cover. The SAT prioritizes Mathematics, Critical reading, and Writing. These two tests may take a long time for an individual to complete, but they’re worth it to test the students’ computation of the subjects, and to further advance them into college.

Ivy Wise wrote an article trying to make “Test Optional” look like a good thing. They came out and said, “By eliminating the pressure to produce perfect SAT or ACT scores, test-optional colleges are allowing greater opportunity for students to focus on academic performance and, to take it a step further, pursuing courses and activities that match their interests,”. It allows the student to pursue what they would like to do. However, on the flip side, this may mean that the interested student with a lack of a good reputation or academic success can be representing a school of high stature. For Indiana there is Purdue University, Ball State University, Indiana State University, and Indiana University-Purdue University of Indianapolis (and more) that many aspire to be pupils at from a young age.

Test optional does not mean test blind; when reviewing student applications, they will still consider the academic success and failure that one endured during their high school career. Nonetheless, others are taking advantage of the test optional infrastructure.

Lillian Markos, a senior at Avon High School, said “I already got accepted into IUPUI, so I do not have to worry about taking either of the tests.”  This bothered her parents because they had to take the ACT and SAT and wanted her to do this too, yet she did not attend either assessment.

These standardized tests are needed for schools to see if their newfound academic representatives put in the work and effort to get in to their establishment. Future students should not just apply and hope for the best.