Why Thanksgiving is the Best Holiday-An Opinion

Picture by: Annabelle Breakey Photography

Lindsey Lyngholm, Web Editor

The most wonderful time of the year is coming up: Thanksgiving! I know you probably expected me to say Christmas. Sure Christmas is great, but there are so many wonderful benefits with Thanksgiving that we take for granted.

First of all, Thanksgiving is a holiday dedicated to eating food! Now who doesn’t love food? Thanksgiving meals typically consist of the best foods out there: turkey, ham, mashed potatoes, rolls, green beans, pumpkin pie, etc. There are so many options; it’s endless. After eating a boatload of food, it’s always nice to take a big old nap afterwards.

Most families like to visit relatives over the holiday, so this is the perfect opportunity to catch up with everyone and take a little road trip away from home. For some families, this means a big trip to grandma’s house or preparing the house for everyone come over. Either way, the people that you love and care for are gathered together under one roof to appreciate how thankful they are to be there and for the food on their plates.

Thanksgiving is a holiday designed around eating, so you literally can stay at home all day and do nothing. If you want to pass out on the couch after dinner, go for it. If you want to watch football, go for it. Most people dress a little formal, even though they will be inside all day, but if you really wanted to, you could stay in your pajamas all day.

Once a year, on Thanksgiving, the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade is featured on NBC. The parade begins at 9 a.m., which is a perfect time to sleep in and stay in your pajamas while you watch the parade with your little cousins. Huge balloons and floats are carried around New York City with celebrities and pedestrians. It also features small sneak peaks of Broadway shows as well as a performance by the Rockettes. It is a nice way to start the day with your family, so you do not miss a nice home-cooked breakfast.

Every year, the NFL has football games scheduled on Thanksgiving. This year, the Detroit Lions will be playing the Minnesota Vikings at 12:30 p.m., the Dallas Cowboys will play the Los Angeles Chargers at 4:30 p.m., and the New York Giants will play the Washington Redskins at 8:30 p.m. Since you can’t really go anywhere else on Thanksgiving, it’s nice to just plop in front of the television and watch some good old American football with your family. Even if you don’t understand the sport, you can try to figure out how the game works. It will be on all day if you have nothing else to do. If you are a big football fan, these are some good games to look forward too.

During Thanksgiving, many good movies are released in theaters. While they may not compete with the ones that come out on Christmas, there is still a good selection to choose from. There isn’t a lot to do outside of your house on Thanksgiving because the majority of places are closed, but not the movies. In past years, some popular movies released during Thanksgiving were Frozen, Moana, Big Hero 6, and more. This year’s movies out around Thanksgiving will include Daddy’s Home 2, Coco, Justice League, Murder on the Orient Express, and more, in case your family is driving you nuts as you guys are cramped inside the house all day. Take them out to a movie!

I think the true meaning of Thanksgiving is about being thankful. Some people might not able to afford to buy Thanksgiving food, or a nice warm house, or a car, or clothes. Showing your appreciation by giving thanks to your parents and relatives for putting so much work into making sure you have a wonderful meal is what Thanksgiving is all about. Appreciation.