You’re Accepted, Now What?

%0A%0A

Mackenzie Barrett, Editor in Chief

Congratulations! You’ve done it. The past four years have not been in vain, because the school (or schools) of your dreams sent you the big envelope. But don’t relax too much just yet, there are still a few more things to take care of before next fall.

First things first, you can’t know if a campus is for you until you’ve seen it for yourself. Scheduling a visit is the best and easiest way to learn about all aspects of a school. Academics aren’t necessarily everything, and it’s impossible to make the grade if you are miserable on campus. While there, have some lunch in the dining hall, see how you like the food. Ask to see a dorm room and ask yourself if you can handle communal showers. Sit in on a lecture hall for a few minutes to check out the class sizes. Many schools also offer special visits specifically for admitted students, which are a great way to get a feel for the atmosphere of a school.

Senior Abby Cody will be playing golf at Carthage College next fall.

Keep up with your emails. Many (if not all) schools will send you a follow up email a few weeks after admittance that will grant you access to your own profile for the university. It is important to sign up for these accounts to ensure that, should you chose to attend that school, you have proper access to scheduling information, meal plan set ups and more.

File FAFSA! Free Application for Federal Student Aid is an online application that allows students to receive a cut in tuition costs based on their parent’s combined income. The earlier you file FAFSA, the more aid you could be eligible for. File your FAFSA at https://www.nasfaa.org/.

“FAFSA is the number one thing [to complete] because comparing your financial aid packages is very important. Every school has a Net Price Calculator where students can compare, after FAFSA, what they will have to pay for each school,” said Mrs. Joni Martin, BHS’s college and careers counselor.

Senior Anna Scott has been accepted into Ball State and Indiana State University.

Scholarships are the best way to keep your student loans at bay based on merit. The easiest way to find scholarships that you qualify for is through naviance. Naviance provides you with a list of links to unique scholarships that offer anywhere from 500-10,000 dollars.

“I just got into Butler and I’m really excited to go, but what’s most important now is finding scholarships to pay for it,” said Alicia Nygra, a senior at BHS.

Many schools require students to take placement tests before the academic year begins. Core classes like English, math and foreign

languages will likely be tested to insure students are placed in an intro- level course that is suitable for their skill level. More information on placement tests can be found on university websites or at www.collegeboard.com.

As you begin to select which college you want to attend, it is important to consider living arrangements. Many students stress about finding college roommates however, many universities make the selection process simple and stress-free. Most colleges open a Facebook page where students can meet and get to know each other. If you are attending an in-state college, there are students from BHS that will be going to the same school as you. Sometimes, the familiarity of a hometown roommate can ease the foreignness of a new city.

Before you start to stress, remember that most US colleges don’t require commitment to a school until May 1, 2018. That’s plenty of time to visit campus, register classes, find a roommate, request dorms and take placement tests… right?