Humans of BHS: Madi Hartley

Angel Ratcliff, Staff Writer

During the time spent at BHS, Madi Hartley has gone through so much to achieve what she wanted. Madi gave so many answers to how her life has been at BHS and what she’s done to accomplish her goals throughout her freshman and sophomore years. I asked her some questions so we all can get to know her better.

Q:Why do you do Show Choir?

A: I love performing. I do it as much as I can. Since I was in 6th grade, I remember looking at Starlight and telling myself that that’s what I wanted to do in high school to do in high school.

Q: How does show choir make you feel?

A: Show choir makes me feel so many things: joy, pride, love even exhaustion. But being on stage with all those girls makes me feel so alive.

Q: How do you prepare for your shows?

A: Lots and lots of rehearsals and even practicing at home, getting in a good mindset to perform well.

Q: What are other things that you are proud of accomplishing?

A: I’m in high honors classes. I am a founding member of the MRA non-profit organizations junior board. I do theater in and out of school.

Q: What is it like being in Starlight?
A: Starlight is like having a massive family that I know loves me and supports me and has my back. It’s insane being able to perform with so much talent all the time.

Q: After your shows, how do you feel about your performance?

A: It depends on how we do, but when we do good, wow. That feeling, it’s unbeatable.

Q: What things do you wish to accomplish later in life?

A: My dream is to perform on Broadway, in absolutely any role. But I just hope whatever I do later I do anything involving performing in some aspect.

Q: Why did you choose to do choir?
A: I fell in love with Starlight in 6th grade and have watched them with wide eyes since, and I decided in 6th grade that I’d be doing show choir in high school. I wanted to be one of those girls so bad, so when Strasser asked me last year and I didn’t even know it was possible, I freaked out!

Q: In the future, what college do you want to go to?

A: I haven’t decided on a college yet, but I want to go somewhere with a good nursing and arts program.

The singers are walking to the band room after their performance.

Q: How has your family impacted your life?

A: My family, especially my grandparents, support me in absolutely everything, and they don’t miss a performance. Then there’s people in my family who, with the more negative things that have happened, give me a fire to prove to them I’m more than what they give me credit for.

Q: How has BHS Impacted your life?
A: BHS brought me Starlight and Bel Canto and so many amazing people who love being on stage too, and I don’t know where I’d be without them.