The Paw Print

The Student News Site of Brownsburg High School

The Paw Print

The Paw Print

St. Patrick’s Day
March 19, 2024

Wonka Movie Review

Wonka is a newer movie released with it coming to theaters December 15, 2023. Wonka is a movie meant to look into the upbringings of the character Willy Wonka and how he started out and the conflicts he faces on his journey. The main plot of the movie is that Willy Wonka wants to open a candy store to share his creations of chocolate with the world; however, there is an unknown third party trying to shut him down and trying to prevent him from succeeding by using any means necessary. 

It has been 18 years since the last Willy Wonka movie was released, the last one being in 2005 with Johnny Depp playing the role of Willy Wonka. This new take on the character is what was truly needed, bringing him back from the dark and gloomy setting set with Johnny Depp to a cheerier and lighthearted take played by Timothée Chalamet. He does a phenomenal job playing the iconic character and bringing him to life on the big screen. When playing the role, he makes sure to portray him as an upbeat character. But while making him a cheerier character, he still knows how to change his tone to fit the more serious scenes. When a more important scene would happen, he made it look like that the character was coming to the realization of how the scenario is, like if it was a humorous scene, he was humorous but if it was a serious scene, he gradually became serious. He makes contrast clear while making it seem natural, as if the character is genuinely experiencing what’s happening. 

Along with the amazing acting done by the cast, comes the music. In the entirety of the movie, 24 different songs were all performed by the cast. Using the music, they develop the story. The music helps explain important plot points that without it, events in the story wouldn’t make much sense so the music is just as important to the story as the rest of the work put into it. While the music plays a huge part in telling the story, so does the setting and scenery. In Wonka, they changed the lighting to express the tone shifts, so if the scene didn’t require dialogue, the lighting could tell the audience what the tone is. There is a scene in the movie where things are going well for Wonka, and he can finally do what he was trying to do all movie, but this comes crashing down on him and the lighting and how Chalamet moved in the scene showed how his character was feeling with there being little to no dialogue. 

With the amazing performance and the great storytelling, Wonka is a great movie to watch with family and friends or even by yourself.