The Paw Print

The Student News Site of Brownsburg High School

The Paw Print

The Paw Print

St. Patrick’s Day
March 19, 2024

The Obsession with Stanley Cups: Are They Really Worth the Hype?

%E2%80%9CA+lot+of+people+think+it+was+because+of+the+trend%2C+but+I+really+wanted+mine+because+I+love+the+color+pink.+And+its+bright+pink%2C%E2%80%9D+said+Coleman.+
Lauren Brickler
“A lot of people think it was because of the trend, but I really wanted mine because I love the color pink. And it’s bright pink,” said Coleman.

A new obsession of this generation is a water bottle called “The Stanley Cup.” Selling out of stores left and right, more and more people are beginning to own these just for the experience. These cups are being hyped up all over social media and in person. Coming in multiple different colors, these cups seem to be eye-catching and popular with students, yet some don’t understand their popularity.

Although some may not understand the hype, there are still some positives with the Stanley Cup. “I really like the color of it because my favorite color is pink; it’s really like an accessory, too,” said freshman Emma Coleman, who owns two Stanley Cups. The dazzling looks of the cups have an influence on the popularity. The colors seem to attract students of this generation to buy and use these for everyday use. Not only that, but they’re generally useful for students. “It keeps me hydrated, and that makes me healthy,” said Coleman. The large population of students that carry around these cups can maintain water intake while in school.

Despite the ways Stanley Cups can benefit students, some think that there is no reason it should be as popular as it is. “I feel like the only reason that it should be popular is because it’s just a water bottle. I don’t think that water bottles should be like, praised the way Stanleys are,” said Coleman. Although Coleman owns multiple cups, she doesn’t understand the status of the Stanleys, thinking that all they are is simply a water bottle and nothing more.

The high demand has had an increase on reasons why people want to use them. Besides the positive effect they have, people want them because of their popularity. “Like there’s no point in having 5 million, spending thousands of dollars on 5000 different cups. It’s like there’s no use but you’re not going to use them all the same time,” said freshman Bella Hughes, who owns a Stanley, but disagrees with the fascination. Hughes thinks there is no reason to own multiple Stanley Cups, as they are only beneficial one at a time.

The heavy amount of attention toward Stanley Cups has had a great impact. It even resulted in an obsession, which some don’t seem to understand. “It’s kind of weird, because like, why are you obsessed with a cup? There’s so many other things to be obsessed over,” Hughes said.

View Comments (2)
Donate to The Paw Print
$0
$500
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Brownsburg High School. Your contribution will allow us to cover our annual website hosting costs, as well as our quarterly print publication!