The Paw Print

The Student News Site of Brownsburg High School

The Paw Print

The Paw Print

St. Patrick’s Day
March 19, 2024

To All the People With or Without Valentines…

When the calendar reads February 14, everyone knows it’s Valentine’s Day. Most people think that Valentine’s Day is entirely for lovers, and in some ways it is, but it could also be for loved ones like family and friends. 

According to Brittanica, Valentine’s Days is said to originate from a Roman festival called Lupercalia. A little background on Lupercalia: Lupercalia was mainly celebrated the 13-15 of February, and it was controlled by priests called Luperci (Lupus is Latin for wolf which is assumed to be a part of the name Lupercalia). One of the interesting celebrations the people did was goats and dogs would be sacrificed to the Luperci.  It was also a festival for the coming of spring and fertility and they would pair women and men by lottery. What we celebrate today is still uncertain where it came from; some say it was a Christian named St. Valentine. It wasn’t until the 14th century that Valentine’s Day became known for the celebration of romance.

As you know, Valentine’s Day was yesterday and for some, it was an amazing day while for others, it wasn’t the greatest as some felt lonely.

72 BHS students were asked if they had a valentine, and they had four categories to choose from: Yes, No, Unsure and Unsure Situationship. The survey shared some sad results. 40 out of the 72 students said they didn’t have a valentine. When asked why, several BHS students said they don’t have anyone to ask, or they weren’t dating anyone. 29 out of 72 students said yes. The majority said their valentine was their significant other. Two out of 72 students said they were unsure because they didn’t know if they were going to ask when the survey was taken. A Junior here was the only one that was in the category Unsure Situationship. She didn’t know if her boyfriend, or situationship, would ask her to be his valentine but the two have loved each other since elementary school. 

Even though more people don’t have a valentine, you are loved, and it’s alright to not have a valentine!