The Paw Print

The Student News Site of Brownsburg High School

The Paw Print

The Paw Print

St. Patrick’s Day
March 19, 2024

Volleyball Club Showing Up

The volleyball club recently announced that they are having open gyms. These open gyms are mostly on Fridays, so we had to get an insight on volleyball and the plans for the volleyball club this year.  

Volleyball itself may look like an easy sport, but there are exceedingly difficult things in volleyball like the fact that the sport is frustrating as a beginner. The reason for this frustration is that there are lots of contributions to the game: there are the rules, rotations and positions. On top of that, there is also getting the ball back over the net which is a whole other thing.  

One of the most frustrating things about the game might be defending guys. The defenders have the task of keeping the ball off the ground but who can do that when you have a ball crashing in. While trying to keep that crushing wave up in the air, you also have a blocker in front of you trying to stop it from going back over the net, so if he does not get to the ball on time, you have very little time to react, and even no time to react to such a fast ball.  

Now you don’t just need all of these things but being tall is your very best friend. Volleyball is a very tall sport. Considering people play at the high school level, it may not be that bad, but when playing more seriously like in college and higher, it’s a very difficult thing to be short. 

Volleyball is a hard sport on your body, not in the physical contact matter but more like in the knees and joints area because you are always bending knees, jumping and diving.  

Senior Ashton Perry, a JV player, said he was really looking forward to “going out all strong for my final season and seeing how this community has advanced throughout the past few years.”

When talking to junior Alan Li, who had played last year on JV, he said, “I’m looking forward to having a great season this year as our team is completely different, and it’s like a new team and with new coach.” He seemed optimistic about the team this year as he claimed, “When I think of our team, I think of the word win because we’re going to win every game.”  

When talking to some varsity players like junior Owen Ellis and junior Michael Fenol. When talking to Fenol, we talked about how he felt about the team: “I think the team is going to be good this year. And I’m excited to see it play out as well.”  

Ellis seemed to want to improve in some areas. He said one thing he wants is to “place top in this state for my position again.”