The Paw Print

The Student News Site of Brownsburg High School

The Paw Print

The Paw Print

St. Patrick’s Day
March 19, 2024

New Indiana state law: How are schools changing for next year

Many teachers make the decision to use phone pockets to keep students accountable during class. Spanish teacher Jennifer Blanton is one of many that made this decision.
Ifeoluwa Olokode

With the new Indiana state law going into effect next school year, we might see a change in the phone policy. For many schools, technology has been a huge issue for many students and teachers, especially with the rise of dependency on phones.  

In BHS, the phone policy has yet to change in response to the new law. Many teachers await information from the school in preparation for the 2024 – 2025 school year. 

For computer science teacher Chad Eaton, he believes, “I’m not sure how this is going to change my system for next year, but I’m hoping it all works out.” 

Many schools in Indiana are looking to see a change for the next school year about the use of cellphones. The new law that received “Bipartisan support from state lawmakers will keep students off their phones during school hours,” according to an interview done by NPR. 

The law also looks to ban students from using wireless communication devices during class, including laptops, earbuds and cellphones. The law is in place to create a reprieve of cell phones for a few hours a day. Although they can’t control the amount of screen time outside of school, they can put a system in place to reduce it by about 7 hours for 5 days a week. 

Additionally, some students are a bit nervous about how school is going to change, and how the new school year is going to run. 

I am hoping not too many changes [occur]. I am a little unsettled with the fact they have not told us much about it,” sophomore Hailey Prather stated. 

Other students expressed their nonchalance to the new state law and what might look different. 

“To be honest, I do not really care about it,” sophomore Ester Nofsinger explained. 

Although the new state policy feels dictatorial, there’s still leniency concerning the law. The new policy could possibly leave the teacher to come up with their own policy in class depending on the stance the school takes. When teachers are allowed to use their discrepancy, they would have the ability to determine whether students should be allowed to use cell phones in class. Even with the mixed feelings on the law, it is here to stay and hopefully be beneficial this upcoming school year. 

View Comments (3)
Donate to The Paw Print
$0
$500
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Brownsburg High School. Your contribution will allow us to cover our annual website hosting costs, as well as our quarterly print publication!