The Paw Print

The Student News Site of Brownsburg High School

The Paw Print

The Paw Print

Humans of BHS: Maddy Brawley

Behind the scenes of a dedicated student-athlete
Renee Walmoth

Senioritis is defined as a supposed affliction of students in their final year of high school or college, characterized by a decline in motivation or performance, and it is hitting the class of 2024. With only a week of school left, BHS senior Maddy Brawley is breaking away from this trend by demonstrating her dedication through beneficial study habits and outlook on life.

Brawley is planning to attend Millikin University in Decatur, Illinois to study Biology and to play softball. Studying Biology can be difficult for some, but Brawley is in AP Biology currently and plans to major in it.

“I’ve always loved science. Science has always been really interesting to me, and it’s always come really easy, so I figured I might as well major in it,” Brawley said.

Finding “challenging class and being a good student” has been a dream of Brawley’s since she was six years old.

Maddy Brawley studying for Economics class during first period.

Continuing to study, even through the last few weeks of high school, can become difficult due to students’ motivation going down. For seniors like Brawley, knowing that there are only so many days left can leave them feeling the effects of “senioritis.”

“It’s difficult, especially near the end. You do not want to do your work. But the best advice I could give is stick it out when you feel like you do not want to do something. Just get it done. It’ll all pay off in the end,” Brawley said. Using this advice can help many students until the end of the year.

Brawley continues to study when the work is assigned to her. “I try not to procrastinate if I really want to. Then I have a calendar in my phone. I make sure I keep everything organized when stuff is due,” Brawley said.

Good habits will not only help until the end of the year but leave a lasting impact on your life. A person’s outlook on life may change when they experience something impactful. For Brawley, her life was changed when she was just a baby and had to be rushed to the hospital by her grandpa to have emergency surgery on her throat due to an infection.

“If my grandpa wouldn’t have taken me to the hospital that day, I would have died… my grandpa saved my life,” Brawley said.

These traumatic events can be impactful for many reasons. For Brawley, “it definitely makes me a lot more thankful for everything I have today and a lot more thankful for him. He’s just a good person in my life.”

After another traumatic event when Brawley was 11, she experienced her uncle’s death and how that impacted her family’s overall spirit.

“I’m looking at life and how I’m just grateful for everyday things because I don’t know when it’s all going to be taken away,” Brawley said.