The Paw Print

The Student News Site of Brownsburg High School

The Paw Print

The Paw Print

Humans of BHS: Ian Baker

What does the life of a track and field star look like and how different could it be from yours?
Junior+Ian+Baker+kicks+to+the+finish+line+to+win+the+1600+at+sectionals%2C+qualifying+for+regionals.+Baker+broke+the+1600+meet+record+that+he+set+last+season%2C+running+a+time+of+4%3A20.63.+
Charlie Rosa
Junior Ian Baker kicks to the finish line to win the 1600 at sectionals, qualifying for regionals. Baker broke the 1600 meet record that he set last season, running a time of 4:20.63.

Junior Ian Baker has been on a historic run this track season breaking a 40-year-old school record in the 3200. He was also just a second off from breaking the school’s 1600 record.

Along with being an all-state runner, Baker also gets excellent grades. However, he believes that he has been able to do this not despite being a part of the distance team year-round but because of it. This challenge “makes school much more enjoyable,” Baker said. “I look forward to getting to practice every day.”

Junior Ian Baker preparing to start the 800-meter run at sectionals. Baker ran a personal best of 1:55.55 and placed second to qualify for regionals in both the 1600-meter run and the 800. (Charlie Rosa)

In school, Baker’s favorite subject is English because “I’ve always been a big reader and big writer,” Baker said. On the contrary, his least favorite subject is science because “that’s really just not my strength,” Baker said.

Outside of running, Baker spends his time like most high schoolers do: “I’m playing video games, hanging out friends, just normal stuff like that,” Baker said. Baker also enjoys to read; however, “ I don’t do it as much as I used to,” he said. Because of school, running and work, Baker does not have as much free time as most people.

Some of the things that Baker does to stand out from the pack include not skipping the little things, such as “doing core on your own every day. That means taking ‘7-Way Hips’ seriously [and] foam rolling a few times a week,” Baker said.