The Paw Print

The Student News Site of Brownsburg High School

The Paw Print

The Paw Print

Humans of BHS: Julie Pardue

Worldly connections
%E2%80%9CIt+really+opened+me+to+not+only+the+cultural+aspects%2C+but+also+other+ways+to+see+the+world%2C+which+is+part+of+learning+a+new+language%2C%E2%80%9D+Pardue+said.+
Isabel Sears
“It really opened me to not only the cultural aspects, but also other ways to see the world, which is part of learning a new language,” Pardue said.

For some teachers, their subject is their passion. This is true for language teacher Julie Pardue. Pardue teaches French and Spanish here at BHS. The culture that comes with teaching language is a huge part of her life, and she aims to share as much of it as she can.

Pardue realized her interest in French after she earned a scholarship to learn it at the French Institue of Lima in Peru. After she got the opportunity, she “fell in love” with French. French culture was more interesting to Pardue, and she was getting more out of it than she had with English.

“Since I’m already passionate about French and French culture, why not attach those two together,” Pardue said.

Pardue then lived in Paris, and she was still very “self-centered” in her beliefs. Through her time there, she discovered the differences in culture and beliefs. Pardue believes that the experience she had living in France is what allows her to be so open-minded today.

“So in Paris, you have people from all kinds of backgrounds, and I learned how to be more open minded to other people’s opinions, other people’s point of views, other ways to see the world and other faiths,” said Pardue.

Madame Pardue going over the day’s activity with her first period French class. (Isabel Sears)

Pardue grew up in an “average middle-class” family. Because of this, she had to work hard for everything she wanted to do, including college. Even so, Pardue’s parents still encouraged her to follow her dreams. Even with the economic challenges, she was able to do what she wanted because of her parents’ support and her own hard work.

“The way my parents raised me up helped me tremendously to work my way up from the very, very beginning,” Pardue stated.

After Pardue retires from her job as a teacher, she wants to take the time to travel the world. While she does want to visit French speaking countries like Morocco, travel in general is a kind of “therapy” for her. Pardue also treasures her family. If she could do anything for them, she’d love to have the power to always make them happy.

“I just feel like I am not really a homebody, so I need to be discovering new places, meeting new people, trying new food that feeds my soul,” Pardue said.