Sledding Substitutes for Your Snow Day Speeding

Mitchell Velikan, Design Editor

With heavy amounts of snow and ice this week, most BHS students and teachers alike crossed their fingers for a snow day. Since there has been little winter weather this year, many kids cannot wait to sled. But with the Christmas season long gone, many retailers do not have sleds in stock to combat the growing demand. So, what can you use in place of a traditional sled?

1. Twin Sized Mattress

Sledding is tiring. Going up and down the hill over and over is very physically exhausting. That’s why a twin sized bed makes the perfect substitute for your sledding needs. The only catch to this is that the fabric tends to catch on the snow. An easy fix to this is to dowse the mattress in water the night before and let it freeze for a better weight and speed. Will this cause mold? Yes, but the ride is worth it.

1. Fridge

What your mom doesn’t know can’t hurt her. So, while she’s at work during your day off, feel free to unplug your fridge and take it for a spin. The upsides to this are plentiful. The heavy weight of the fridge carries it down the hill at crazy speeds which is perfect for races against your friends. If you are sledding and you suddenly get hungry, don’t worry about driving home on the messy roads, you have food right inside of your sled! The major downfall of using a fridge is getting it up the hill, but at least you have refreshments once you get it.

Trash sledding in action.
  1. 2X4s with Tape

Maybe sledding isn’t for you, say you need your skiing fix, but there are no ski shops nearby. Fear not, with some simple handiwork, some junk from the garage can become a perfect (and dangerous) replacement for skis. Using two 2X4s and some duct tape, you can easily create a slideable surface attached to your boots.

1. Spare Skateboard Deck with Shoe-laces

Spare skateboard decks make perfect substitutes for snowboards. With a similar build, the only thing that is missing are the foot supports. You can of course ride without them, but stability is advised. By weaving shoelaces through the hardware holes and into your shoes, you can create a wobbly foot-rest to keep you in place while going downhill.

1. Tables

If you have any spare tables lying around, they make perfect stand-ins for a sled. When put upside down, the flat surface gives a perfect base for the rider to sit on. The legs act as handles which are much needed for this ride. I recommend card tables as they are the cheapest and lightest to maneuver up the hill.

1. Hood of a Car

Do you have a tiny car: one that might not be able to fit a sled, let alone a fridge or a mattress? Well, there is an easy solution for your toboggan-related troubles. Once you get to your favorite sledding spot, pop the hood of your car off and start sledding. This method goes very fast, so it is perfect for speed demons. The only downside is that your car might get damaged. If mom asks, those dents were there when we bought it.

1. Canoe

For our outdoor adventurers who have a passion for the water, using a canoe is a perfect replacement for a bobsled. They pick up speed very fast and cut through the snow with ease. The only issue is transporting it to and from the sledding site.

1. Kiddie Pool

Don’t let that kiddie pool taking up space in your shed sit for the whole winter–break it out for the snow and get sledding. This one is a great replacement for a sled because it fits many people, catches eyes, and goes downhill very quickly. The experience is even further enhanced with water and swim-suits, but watch out for frostbite!

1. Trash Bin

Trash bins are definitely one of the best sledding substitutes, but it requires immense control and an iron stomach from the rider. It is recommended that the handles be cut off of the trash cans prior to sledding for optimal rolling. This ride will definitely get you a line of kids waiting to take their turn. Conversely, it will also get glares from their parents.

BHS senior, Brett Williams, takes a tumble while sledding in a tub
  1. Storage Tub

And the number 1 best sledding substitute is definitely storage tubs. This inexpensive sled can be bought at any retailer no matter the season. With minimal friction on the bottoms and curved edges, the storage tubs will glide through snow just as well as any run of the mill sled. Buying a storage tub acts as a “buy one, get one” deal as well since the lids can be used equally as well. The only disadvantage to the tubs is that there will be little wow factor compared to the other sledders.

****

No matter what sledding substitute you use, two things are the most important to remember: have fun and go fast. If you use something unconventional or odd to go downhill in, comment it down below and let BHS know how your snow-day speeding went!