The Paw Print

The Student News Site of Brownsburg High School

The Paw Print

The Paw Print

St. Patrick’s Day
March 19, 2024

BHS teachers discuss phone policies: Should phones still be allowed in class?

Charlotte Woodruff
Spanish teacher Claire Fletchall uses a phone pouch for attendance and phone tracking.

As technology continues to play a major role in our daily lives, the debate over cell phone usage in schools has become a hot topic. At BHS, there is no official phone policy. It is mainly up to teachers to decide what is most effective for their classroom. Two teachers, Maria Cabasino and Claire Fletchall, give their perspectives on the issue. 

According to math teacher Maria Cabasino, “phones should not be on students’ desks during class.” She implements a “phone jail” policy which involves giving a general warning and then a second warning before confiscating the phone or putting the phone in the “phone jail” bin. This approach is meant to minimize distractions and keep students engaged in the lesson. 

On the other hand, Claire Fletchall, a Spanish teacher at BHS, sees phones as more than just a distraction. She explains that she uses “a phone packet to take attendance” with each student being assigned a number. This allows her to easily keep track of who is present and who is absent. 

Although both teachers have different approaches to phone usage in the classroom, they both agree on the importance of consequences for students who do not comply with the phone policy. Fletchall mentions that “non-compliance leads to a write-up and the office decides the appropriate consequences.” Cabasino also believes that there should be consequences in place to ensure that students understand the seriousness of the policy, such as calling “their team office and letting team leaders determine the outcome.” 

With these differing opinions and methods of handling phone usage, the question arises: Are the current phone policies from BHS teachers fair? Should phones be allowed in class? While some argue that phones can be a distraction and impede learning, others believe that they can be a valuable learning tool when used appropriately. As technology continues to develop, it is crucial for teachers and schools to regularly revisit and to even reassess their phone policies to find a balance between utilizing technology for educational purposes and minimizing distractions. 

To wrap up, the phone policy at BHS is a topic that sparks debate among teachers and students alike. While some teachers have strict rules in place, others find ways to incorporate phones into their lessons such as using Blooklet, Kahoot and Quizlet to study for quizzes/ tests. It ultimately comes down to finding a balance and setting clear expectations for students. So, what do you think? Should phones be allowed in class, and if so, what guidelines should be in place? The discussion still continues. 

View Comments (1)
Donate to The Paw Print
$0
$500
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Brownsburg High School. Your contribution will allow us to cover our annual website hosting costs, as well as our quarterly print publication!