The Paw Print

The Student News Site of Brownsburg High School

The Paw Print

The Paw Print

St. Patrick’s Day
March 19, 2024

Dance the night away!

BHS students gather to celebrate at the homecoming dance on Saturday, September 16, 2023. Many of the students were at the dance floor and had fun dancing with their friends.

It’s that time of the year again. Homecoming spirit week, the parade, the Big Game – where the homecoming court is–and of course the homecoming dance. While students reportedly had fears about the new location this year, over a thirteen hundred BHS students ended up attending the dance.

After spending many weeks waiting for the perfect dress that makes you look gorgeous, the dance arrived, and as many students do, the event started off with everyone preening and getting ready, taking pictures with friends while waiting in line and finally showing their tickets and student IDs to enter. Finally, students were in the dance they’ve been anticipating for weeks. 

“It’s an opportunity for students to get involved in what Brownsburg is all about,” Team 2027 counselor Seth Ragsdale said.  

Upon entering, the event was split into four different sections. There were dance circles in the main cafeteria on the dance floor and the LGI room was used to host board games for students needing a break from dancing. Even the Bulldog Staircase had a plethora of students talking and spending time with their friends. One of the highlights appeared to be the snack table: it was full of chips, cookies, sodas and all sorts of snacks. 

Many students expressed their relief with having a day to just be themselves and meet new people. 

“It’s just a chance to hang out with your friends and have fun,” sophomore Bailey Sanchez said.  

“Homecoming is just a place to not worry about school, grades,” sophomore Hailey Prather remarked.  

There was one unexpected hiccup: the fire alarm went off halfway through the dance. BHS officials  stated, “The Brownsburg Fire Territory (BFT) responded to the alarm, and they concluded the alarm was triggered by the fog machine from the DJ.” Students were made to evacuate the dance for protocol issues but were allowed to return for the last hour of homecoming. 

The dance was “a great experience that exceeded the low expectations from students,” Prather said.  

The music was diverse and catered to different people of different backgrounds. “He was modern and played super energetic music, ” Prather said.

When asked, many freshman concluded the experience was great overall. Freshman Austin Johnson said, “Honestly it was alright, and I would go again.” 

In total, it was an experience we will all get to share in the future; it was also a great start to the 2023-24 school year.

“It was so fun! I can’t wait for next years,” Prather said.