The Paw Print

The Student News Site of Brownsburg High School

The Paw Print

The Paw Print

St. Patrick’s Day
March 19, 2024

BHS Spirit Days

BHS takes spirit days very seriously. Every Friday of football season, there is a spirit day, but there are also designated weeks where every single day is a day to dress up and have fun. Some examples of dress up days are purple out, tropical day, hat day, jersey day and more. Many staff members and students enjoy spirit days for different and very interesting reasons. Some may just like to be goofy when they dress out, but others may think spirit helps establish a greater connection.

Media Center specialist Mrs. Honey has worked in BCSC for 17 years and been at the high school for 13 years. Honey always participates in spirit days, stating that she enjoys these fun and unique themed days because, “they bring everyone together and it shows unity with everyone.”

The origin of spirit week goes back to Palo Alto High School in 1960s. The school started something called “Friendship Week” where the motivation was to get students to feel more accepted in the environment and to help welcome students. Now, schools around the world celebrate what was previously “Friendship Week” and is now known as “Spirit Week” by many.

Students in B lunch are showing their spirit on Tropical Tuesday.

Spirit days are seen as an opportunity to bring others together, and to help feel a sense of comfort and familiarity. They can help others feel more welcomed while also showing support for our school plus our love and passion for sports. Participating in spirit days shows that someone put thought into our school and how much it means when students show that they care about representing Brownsburg either in or outside of the classroom. Plus, these days give some students motivation to go to school.